List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: user study
From:       Emerald Arcana <emerald-arcana () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-22 19:52:38

On August 18, 2001 21:58 pm, Jim Conner wrote:
> I am concerned that if we use KDE2.1.1, developers will say that the
> usability issues were fixed in KDE2.2 concerning a certain problem.  I
> haven't seen KDE2.2 yet, but I know that some usability issues have been
> addressed, and some haven't.  If we are going to use both versions, we need
> to state what version was used for the study and write the tasks to be
> completed by the user so that they can be accomplished in much the same way
> by both versions.  If we find a task that differs greatly between KDE2.1.1
> and KDE2.2, we need to either re-evaluate the task or have two versions of
> that task.

Use KDE 2.2.

The developers are going to be moving on and doing KDE 3.0.  Everything we do
now will not be seen for at least a year yet.  Instead of trying to get
developers to release a 2.2.1, let's follow their flow and make KDE 3.0 the
"newly improved usability" in KDE.

This also gives us the freedom to look at radical changes and to look at
problems from a very low-level: starting right from the way a user
conceptualizes a task right up to the specific placement of a button.

Working wiht KDE 3.0 also gives us the freedom to change notoriusly bad apps
with confusing or obselete UI (KNode needs to be written to match KMail for
instance, or vice versa).

Instead of thinking that we're working on KDE 2.2, think of it like that
we're working on KDE 3.0.

--
-- Arcana