List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Jud Craft <craftjml () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-06 22:02:18

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Peter<gostelow@global.co.za> wrote:
> I have no issue with KDE providing default consistency, but with KDE's attempts to use
> its default shortcuts to provide consistency among _apps_.

If you like "default consistency", you should be fine with consistent
default shortcuts.  Your statement requires further logic, because as
provided, you do not make sense.

> User configuration provides accessibilty, useability, and consistency among apps.
> Not one other suggestion is able to do the same.

"User configuration" -- "The ability for a user to configure his
computer" -- does not create accessibility.

It *allows* the possibility of accessibility.  It does not help create
it -- in fact, it's a horrible way to encourage accessibility and
consistency.  It is more likely to achieve the opposite -- everyone
doing their own thing.

> KDE cannot substitute default shortcuts for
> user configuration and sooner, or later, it will be unable to do so.

KDE, in fact, SHOULD have some influence to dictate common defaults to
developers.  They can disobey if they like.  But where they choose to
follow KDE, KDE should automate the implementation of these as much as
possible (ex., by making conformant programs automatically adapt the
proper shortcuts).

KDE *should* have guidelines, and in cases where they can be enforced
-with no effort- on a program's behalf, it is in the interest of
consistency to do so, assuming developers can be notified to resolve
conflicts, or somehow flag that their program is being intentionally
inconsistent, and so relieved of that benefit.

Microsoft was not unwise when they made programs use Alt-F4.  GNOME's
interface guidelines were a good idea.  Likewise, KDE needs more
interface consistency and design, not less.