List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NWI: metaphor needed?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-07-06 21:57:25

Diego Moya wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad@elided>:

Please don't make it any easier on the spammers.

>> Peter wrote:
>>> It seems KDE developers are slowly grasping the fact that tasks often require
>>> functionality from different applications. Their solution is to provide a
>>> meta-application which contains all the necessary apps. The meta-application
>>> manages the real applications, so users can layout the apps as a single
>>> application.
>>>
>>> What we really want [...]
>> ...requires a level of IPC that I don't think anyone is even
>> /contemplating/ yet.

...which is fine when the system is small, and you control every part of
it (and you have a dictator that can make things happen). As is, you
need to get dozens if not hundreds of app developers on board, and at
/best/ you'll get something KDE-side that doesn't work with GNOME (or
LXDE, e17, etc.).

(Okay, so technically /you're/ "contemplating it". Point was, you've got
a lot of inertia to overcome if you're doing anything but starting a new
desktop from scratch. Or, you know, you could start with small changes,
like NWI-which-is-not-a-session-manager.)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Humane_Interface
> Canon Cat: Implemented and commercially sold *in 1987*.
> Nothing new under the sun.

For what it's worth, I disagree with at least the "monotony of design"
principle. Sounds to me like a great way to be either inflexible,
inefficient, or difficult-to-learn (or some combination thereof).

--
Matthew
It is training and experience that gives us the ability to abstract