List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-06-05 13:04:11

On Friday 05 June 2009 09:17, John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/6/5 Peter <gostelow@global.co.za>:
> >> An application should be as usable as possible out of the box.
> >
> > The original poster was asking for 'consistency among apps', not
> > addressing the out of the box issue. Please address the topic.
>
> Okay as OP this is my fault, I perhaps should have been more clear
> that I do mean consistency among apps by default, as opposed to
> whether a user can manually try to make their apps more consistent
> with enough fiddling.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I understand what you're attempting, but
again, the poster was asking whether the default shortcuts could provide app
consistency, not whether KDE could provide consistency by default. I have no
issue with KDE providing default consistency, but with KDE's attempts to use
its default shortcuts to provide consistency among _apps_.

No-one has yet disputed that user configuration will provide the desired
result, but have made every effort to present it as unacceptable user
behaviour, despite the fact that it is the state-of-the-art technology. User
configuration provides accessibilty, useability, and consistency among apps.
Not one other suggestion is able to do the same.

Whether by accident, or design, users have passed their preference as
'consistency among apps' to avoid configuring apps. KDE has, as you pointed
out, obliged. This has not gone unnoticed by other users, who will expect KDE
to do the same for them. However, KDE cannot substitute default shortcuts for
user configuration and sooner, or later, it will be unable to do so.

Regards,

Peter