List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: RFC: changed modified on disc behaviour
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-30 9:52:40

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl> wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2008 21:57:35 Joseph Wenninger wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 23:58:53 Anders Lund wrote:
>> > The modality of the dialog prevents that the user types into the
>> > document without considering the situation. How do your change
>> > handle that?
>>
>> I don't think the modality is really needed. Since the dialog has a
>> cancel button anyways, which frees you from the need to really
>> consider the situation. With a view bar you still get the
>> information but have more freedom in reacting or ignoring it.
>
> First of all -- if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
>
> So what is the benefit of this new UI proposal? I mean _benefit_?
>
> The dialogs I have in mind are placed in the center, they are side
> effects of some actions, not direct effects. So user has to focus on
> the message. What's more user cannot ignore the message and continue
> editing.
>
> Maybe I miss something, but this change does not improve anything (at
> least I don't see it). And in some degree, quite contrary, it
> provides false safety ("wanna hurt yourself, go ahead, ignore me,
> keep typing").

There is an ignore button, so it IS possible to ignore the change. It
is unclear to me what cancel does (it won't undo the changes to the
file, will it?) but I suppose ignore could be the default action.

But I agree that this might not be a candidate for a modal dialog -
ignoring the issue can be dangerous.