List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to join the KDE Usability Team?
From:       "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-30 8:04:08

2008/12/30 Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org>:
> On Monday 29 December 2008 05:11:58 pm Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>> On Monday 29 December 2008 20:43:33 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>> > I would not want to put ways users can submit usability bug reports
>> > on a contributing page. Users submitting a usability bug is a
>> > conflict of interest.
>>
>> ? I don't get it.
>>
>> HIG says "put X at Y". App violates this. It is valid bug for me (or
>> issue with HIG), but logically they cannot both be right.
>
> Sure, but users aren't going to have complete knowledge of the HIG, and not
> just the KDE HIG, but of all other HIGs (since our guidelines are incomplete)
> plus some design knowledge.  At that point they become junior designers which
> is a different role.

I think that you are confusing designers with usability "experts", of
which there are none. I am not underestimating the importance of
Senior Interaction Architects, rather, I stress that their learned and
valued opinion is not the only valid opinion on usability issues, as
preferences and usage scenarios vary.

> With that being said, again, I would not suggest users go read and learn a
> design document just to submit design bugs unless they want to become
> designers.

I do not want to become a programmer, but according to BKO I've
participated in over 400 bug reports, about half of which I've filed
and the other half of which I've triaged and added reproduction
instructions, marked as dupe, or helped in other ways. If I can do
that without formal training, why can't I file usability issues. I sit
in front of KDE for 12 hours a day!

> The HIG is dead?  It got transferred to Techbase this past summer with new
> content from 2 SoU interns.  I wouldn't call it dead, it's just incomplete and
> progress is slow.

New content does not make a HIG. Content that conforms to what users
request, and enforcement of the HIG, makes a HIG. Neither seem to be
the case with the KDE HIG.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן- -ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П- -С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü