List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KUrlNavigator widget usability
From:       "Peter Penz" <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-27 12:36:26

Hi Aurélien,

[...]
> Telling the users to add the up-button to the toolbar is a solution, and
> it's possible to do so with Gwenview, but it would be quite inconsistent:
> every application using KUrlNavigator would have to provide a way to add
> an up button to provide a similar experience.

I agree, that's why I'm also interested in finding a good solution inside \
KUrlNavigator :-)

> > I don't like "Gtk+-way", as it removes the possibility to give the
> "place"
> > a custom short name (see also [1] for details).
> >
> > I'd like to introduce another proposal based on your "Variant of Gtk+"
> > way: what about just letting the [<] button act as "up-button" instead
> of
> > directly expanding the breadcrumb to the whole path?
> [snip]
>
> I prefer the Gtk+ way, but the solution you suggest would still be better
> with the current implementation IMO, so I am fine with it.

Great :-)

> > If possible I'd like to postpone the implementation to
> > KDE 4.2, as this is
> > no "bugfix" from my point of view and I still think we need a lot of
> > discussion with Aaron, Celeste etc. I'd also like to do some tests with
> > users first before adding such a button to the navigator.
> >
> > Would this be OK for you?
>
> Yes, I guess it's wise. I will suggest people to add the "up" button to
> the toolbar meanwhile :)

Thanks! This gives us some time providing a really good solution instead of rushing \
it out for 4.1.

I've added KUrlNavigator as next important point on my TODO-list for the 4.2 release \
cycle. I'll start with a prototype directly after we got 4.1 out of the door and will \
let you know as soon as I've something to play with and to do some user tests.

Bye,
Peter