List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KUrlNavigator widget usability
From:       Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2008-05-27 12:12:04

Peter Penz wrote:

> Before discussing the two solutions below, for me one important solution
> is missing: offering an up-button in the toolbar. I had similar
> discussions in Dolphin and got no complaints anymore after telling the
> people that they can add the up-button in the toolbar in an easy way.

Telling the users to add the up-button to the toolbar is a solution, and
it's possible to do so with Gwenview, but it would be quite inconsistent:
every application using KUrlNavigator would have to provide a way to add an
up button to provide a similar experience.

> I don't like "Gtk+-way", as it removes the possibility to give the "place"
> a custom short name (see also [1] for details).
>
> I'd like to introduce another proposal based on your "Variant of Gtk+"
> way: what about just letting the [<] button act as "up-button" instead of
> directly expanding the breadcrumb to the whole path?
[snip]

I prefer the Gtk+ way, but the solution you suggest would still be better
with the current implementation IMO, so I am fine with it.

> If possible I'd like to postpone the implementation to KDE 4.2, as this is
> no "bugfix" from my point of view and I still think we need a lot of
> discussion with Aaron, Celeste etc. I'd also like to do some tests with
> users first before adding such a button to the navigator.
>
> Would this be OK for you?

Yes, I guess it's wise. I will suggest people to add the "up" button to the
toolbar meanwhile :)

Aurélien