List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2006-11-25 8:25:41

lör 2006-11-25 klockan 17:41 +1000 skrev David Roberts:
> > When opening a removabledevice there should be now way to get to ../
> > from the GUI. That way the removable device would look like a separate
> > entity. The same thing should apply to the Trash as it represents a
> > different concept than the rest of the file system.
> I don't see why there should be no way to access ../. Firstly, the parent
> directory usually contains other removable devices (similar to Windows My
> Computer). Secondly, if the user is in the directory of the device, and knows
> that's where they are, I don't see why it matters whether or not they are
> able to go up a directory.

To a poweruser, it doesn't matter. To him there is one tree where he can
mount his disks at various points. A computer illiterate person will not
have that knowledge. His concept of disk storage will be to
differentiate between the built in disk(s) in his computer and the
removable drive or USB stick that he can put in his pocket.

By allowing going one level up, you get a mismatch of concepts where
such a user accidentally may store his file one level too high. By
having a one to one mapping between the removable disk and the konqueror
display.

Similar thing should apply to the Documents folder as it represents the
uesers file cabinet, (e.g. somehting that is a separate entity in the
real world), the trash, and perhaps some icon representing networked
resources.

It's all about avoididing, and replacing concepts that relates to
computers with things that relate to real world things, that more easily
can be grasped by computer illiterate persons.

Regards
Uno Engborg