List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag'n'Go
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <friedrich.w.h () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-11-15 10:53:59

Am Montag, 13. November 2006 20:07, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 11:23, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > This seems very similar to the icon proposal listed on the Appeal
> > project, however that interaction model works off of mouse hover (or just
> > mouse over with no time out?).
>
> mouse over with a small timeout. in practice it's not noticeable but
> prevents the overlays from appearing when one is just moving the mouse over
> an icon to get to another icon.
>
> i have a demo app here that i badly need to update and then post somewhere.
> *sigh*

Until Aaron has found the time to update one can also try Poseidon for UML
(http://www.gentleware.com/index.php?id=download , there is a nocost
shorttime version available, search for Community Edition, registering
needed, hm, right now their server is down. Perhaps because of the new
version 5.0? Please try later.)

It's graph editor also has such a automatically appearing ring menu around the
subject under mouse after hovering a little, which is also switchable to
further menu entries by pressing modifier keys while the "menu" is there.
Moving outside the menu area let's it disappear quickly.

I think it to be incredible useful, Poseidon was the first UML program where
one could concentrate on the model, not had to do on the program, and I give
much credits to the automatic menu (and the smart commands in it).

To try it you don't need to have knowledge with UML, just start a new project,
create a new class diagramm and start adding symbols from the bar above the
diagram window. Then hover over the symbols and wait for the menu (it's no
really waiting), when it's there, also press Ctrl, Shift or wild combos of
it, hover over a menu item, select it or move outside the menu area. (all out
of memory, do not have a copy installed ATM).

The only disadvantage I see is that one cannot scan unknown menus in one
dimension, but has to go circles, which I guess to be less comfortable for
humans(?). But once the menus are known, it feels faaaaast to work this way.

Friedrich