List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Quick access" items (in the open/save file dialog) to work
From:       Simon =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F6nnqvist?= <simon () iki ! fi>
Date:       2006-10-21 0:28:20

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 22:17 -0400, Parker Coates wrote:

  Hi!

> On 10/14/06, Simon Rönnqvist <simon@iki.fi> wrote:
> > There's a half ready solution for this already, that's the "Quick
> > Access" items on the lefthand side in open/save file dialogs in KDE
> > apps.
>
> I agree that KDE needs a better "favourite folders" system. I think
> the majority of the problems spring from the dual nature of Konqueror.
> Like yourself, I don't want to combine my Internet bookmarks with my
> most used local directories.

  Yes, I've been thinking a lot about wether the 'dual nature' of
Konqueror makes sense or not. I don't know, it may be that it comes from
a time when almost all pages were static documents. Then the web browser
was mostly a document viewer and a way to navigate to those documents.
(Having web pages showing up under 'recent documents' suggests this.)

Today however web pages are pretty often more web applications that
documents, which makes the whole thing a bit more confusing. An approach
that would make more sense today would be to emphasize integration of
remote web apps into KDE, to help them blend in and look almost like
ordinary apps. The favicons in the taskbar suggest that somebody has
been thinking like this, sadly they sometimes make it hard to recognize
Konqueror's windows in the taskbar. Anyways, web apps seem to get closer
and closer to doing stuff that we're used to see ordinary locally
installed apps do, KDE could be in an ideal position to pick up this
trend and implement it in a smart way.

> As a workaround, I've created a panel pseudo-applet that gives quick
> access to favourite local directories. You'll find the full details at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131706 . It's very poor
> solution and a lot of work to set up, but it works extremely well for
> me and I'm quite happy with it. The only behaviour it doesn't support
> that I'd like to have is the ability to drag and drop files onto
> directories to move/copy files there.

  Thanks for the hint, I'll try it sometime soon.

> Ideally, I think a single KDE-wide list of "quick locations" should be
> shared by the file dialogs, a Konqueror sidebar and/or menu, a panel
> applet and any other place it'd be appropriate. Even better again
> would be if a freedesktop.org specification emerged so that this list
> could be shared between KDE/Gnome/XFCE.

  Yes, GNOME (Nautilus) and XFCE (Thunar) already have that integration.
But for now, not to reinvent the wheel developing KDE's present "quick
access"-system would make sense.

  cheers, Simon