List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Quick access" items (in the open/save file dialog) to work
From:       Simon =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F6nnqvist?= <simon () iki ! fi>
Date:       2006-10-21 0:10:17

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 04:26 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

  Hi!

> Simon Rönnqvist wrote:
> > Since I switched from GNOME to KDE (Ubuntu to Kubuntu) there's one big
> > thing that I've missed from GNOME. That's an easy way to access my
> > favourite folders, such as through the Places menu in GNOME. There's the
> > network folders menu available, but that's just for network folders. The
> > only similar thing I could find for local folders would be to use a
> > bookmarks menu, but I don't want to mix up folder and web bookmarks.
>
> I don't see this as mixing up thing.  I simply added a folder: "Local"
> to my BookMark toolbar.

  Well, this doesn't make it possible to my favourite local folders pop
up as an action in the K-menu (as can be done with network folders). It
doesn't make it possible to have 'em pop up from the panel either?
Bookmarks can be accessed these ways, but not a particular subsection of
bookmarks, right? Anyways having these being the same as the "Quick
access" items would be logical and neat.

> You can get your network folders in Konqueror either with: "Go ->
> System" and select: "Network Folders".  Or, with: "Go -> Network Folders".
>
> Note that I might have renamed these but they are still there.

  Yes, I know. I took them as an example of how I'd also want my
favourite local folders accessible. :-)

> > There's a half ready solution for this already, that's the "Quick
> > Access" items on the lefthand side in open/save file dialogs in KDE
> > apps. If there'd just be some way of getting those items shown as a
> > "Navigation panel" in Konqueror, I'd be very happy.
>
> This sounds good to me.
>
> I would suggest implementing this as a KIO URL like: "system:/documents"
> only it would be a virtual directory that you could configure the
> contents.  Then you could add it to the "Navigation Panel" or use it
> elsewhere.

  I'd love to see that being done. :-)
Let's hope for something like that in KDE4. Or can anybody easily
implement it already? (I'm not a coder, if PHP and such don't count. :-)

  cheers, Simon