List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Quick access" items (in the open/save file dialog) to work	like
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-24 2:28:15

Simon Rönnqvist wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 04:26 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> Simon Rönnqvist wrote:
>>> Since I switched from GNOME to KDE (Ubuntu to Kubuntu) there's
>>> one big thing that I've missed from GNOME. That's an easy way to
>>> access my favourite folders, such as through the Places menu in
>>> GNOME. There's the network folders menu available, but that's
>>> just for network folders. The only similar thing I could find for
>>> local folders would be to use a bookmarks menu, but I don't want
>>> to mix up folder and web bookmarks.
>> I don't see this as mixing up thing.  I simply added a folder:
>> "Local" to my BookMark toolbar.
>
> Well, this doesn't make it possible to my favourite local folders pop
>  up as an action in the K-menu (as can be done with network folders).
> It doesn't make it possible to have 'em pop up from the panel either?
>  Bookmarks can be accessed these ways, but not a particular
> subsection of bookmarks, right?

Yes, you can have only one bookmark folder designated as the one for the
BookMark ToolBar.  Perhaps this is an issue.  Being able to add
additional named BookMark ToolBars would also address this issue.

> Anyways having these being the same as the "Quick access" items would
> be logical and neat.

I also find it less than convenient that it isn't that easy to hide/show
the BookMark ToolBar in Konqueror -- there isn't a toolbar icon to do it.

>> You can get your network folders in Konqueror either with: "Go ->
>> System" and select: "Network Folders".  Or, with: "Go -> Network
>> Folders".
>>
>> Note that I might have renamed these but they are still there.
>
> Yes, I know. I took them as an example of how I'd also want my
> favourite local folders accessible. :-)

It would need to be just as convenient to get the "favorites" bookmarks.

>>> There's a half ready solution for this already, that's the "Quick
>>>  Access" items on the lefthand side in open/save file dialogs in
>>> KDE apps. If there'd just be some way of getting those items
>>> shown as a "Navigation panel" in Konqueror, I'd be very happy.
>> This sounds good to me.
>>
>> I would suggest implementing this as a KIO URL like:
>> "system:/documents" only it would be a virtual directory that you
>> could configure the contents.  Then you could add it to the
>> "Navigation Panel" or use it elsewhere.
>>

> I'd love to see that being done. :-) Let's hope for something like
> that in KDE4. Or can anybody easily implement it already? (I'm not a
> coder, if PHP and such don't count. :-)

I am a coder (even am one of the CS types with my own programing
language: "PL/fiv" -- C is not my language of choice, and I still have
to read a reference to do C++, but I can use the two languages.  My
problem is that, although I have managed to do small things in KDE (and
apparently done them correctly), I still haven't really been able to
figure out how KDE programs work. :-|

I have been trying to work on the Current Working Directory issue and
although I found a few things that needed fixing, I can't figure out
where KDEPrint gets the default file and path: "$HOME/print.ps" when it
prints to a file.  This is a bug, it should use "Directory/print.ps" or
"<Directory_Path>/<base_name>.ps"

I don't know if it is just me or if the KDE code isn't maintainable.  I
managed to hack the Qt-3.x PostScript driver to fix a bug (now fixed by
the Trolls), so it isn't just my problems with the paradigm of OOP.

--
JRT