List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Can the KDE Menu be changed
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-08-08 4:23:52

Uno Engborg wrote:

> The problem with auto generated favorits is that the user loses, control
> over what shows up in them. What is every day tasks may change over
> time, and as they do, the menus will change with them. At first thought
> this might seam like a good idea, but in reality it means that the user
> needs to make sure that the menu hasn't changed every time he uses it.
> This means that he can't make use of motoric memory.

You are correct about the disadvantages of a menu that constantly
changes.  However, we have a problem with the large K-Menu that lists
every app installed on the system.  I have found that motoric memory
works even on this large menu but it is still a pain to find apps in it
even when your muscle memory knows where they are.

What we need to find is something that is workable.  Like any
engineering problem, the solution will not be perfect -- it only needs
to be optimum (the best solution which may only be the least bad solution).

I would find my proposal with the retention time set to 3 days to be
totally acceptable but some users might like it.  However, with a
retention time of 30 days (or more) the menu would not change much and
this would allow motoric memory to a large extent.

OTOH, some users might not want an automatic menu and they could set the
retention time to 0 days and manually select those apps which they
wanted included in the short menu.

--
JRT