List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Can the KDE Menu be changed
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2006-07-27 0:56:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Frank Reifenstahl wrote:
>> Yes, we need a list of all available apps. The question is, do we need
>> it to be in the form
>> of a menu. As the number of applications are quite big and it is not
>> always clear in what
>> group an application belongs, a filtered list is probably a better
>> choice. That way we avoid
>> searching up and down several deep submenus to find the desired app. The
>> filter should search application name, generic name,  and comments to
>> the application.
>>
>>  From that filterable list, users should be able to select favorites
>> and add them to an easily accessible menu area (e.g. the next to the
>> screen border) that would replace the current K-menu for everyday tasks.
>>

> A bit audacious I would claim that an intelligent desktop does not need any
> favorites set up by the user. As for me favorites are those objects I most
> often access (= everday tasks), the desktop should provide those in a
> separate list (or more than one if one has miscallenous definitions). All the
> other objects should come up by entering a depicting part of a string (as
> long as speech pattern recognition is imperfect and most of us have to share
> offices).
The problem with auto generated favorits is that the user loses, control
over what shows up in them. What is every day tasks may change over
time, and as they do, the menus will change with them. At first thought
this might seam like a good idea, but in reality it means that the user
needs to make sure that the menu hasn't changed every time he uses it.
This means that he can't make use of motoric memory.

/uno

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]