List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Fwd: Konqueror informative location bar
From:       Sean Lynch <lynch30 () marshall ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-26 23:58:17

Whenever I have a typo, cut and paste the wrong information, or otherwise
 mess up what should be typed into the Location bar, Konqueror supplies the
 user with a fairly uninformative popup (see leftside of link).

A proposal I suggest is to supply the user with some feedback as to the error
without interrupting them to actually fix the error.  The suggestion (right
side of link) is instead of having a popup window, konqueror will color
the background of the location bar, put the right-aligned descriptive message
that is slightly grayed and italicized (just like how the webpage titles are
done on the dropdown and in firefox) and change the icon to the right from a
folder to a warning sign (how do you know what you tried to type is infact a
folder anyways, might be a URL, etc).

Anyways, see the reference image as its pretty self explanatory and let me
know what you think.  BTW, this so far would apply to the Malformed URL and
Protocol not supported popups.

-Sean

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=malformedurlkonqidea6nx.png