List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Edit File Type Suggestion
From:       Sean Lynch <lynch30 () marshall ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-27 4:34:04

I tried to post this a while back but the attachments were too big, so I'm
hosting the images at image shack...

After looking at the edit file type dialog, I thought it could be laid out
better.  A few things which I thought needed improvement:

-Related settings span over 2 tabs - the 'show file in separate viewer' is
related to what application is specified on the general tab, thus I
consolidated those.

-The description field seems to be better suited as the first field instead of
the filename patterns

-The filename patterns seems to need more room.. especially vertically

Note: the mockups and .ui are not tweaked to perfection (minor spacing adjusts
need to be made... which are noticeable side by side the current dialog, and
possibly don't disable inputs since users will probably want to add options
to those without selecting them as the viewer setting (right clicking on a
file allows to overright left click action).

Anyways, take a look at the before and after screenshots and play around with
the rough .ui file attachment and let me know what you think.

-Sean

http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fileassociationgeneral9yo.png
http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fileassociationviewer3wu.png

["file_association.ui" (application/x-designer)]