List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Konqueror informative location bar
From:       Joerg Hoh <joerg () joerghoh ! de>
Date:       2005-08-26 23:48:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:58:17PM -0400, Sean Lynch wrote:
> Whenever I have a typo, cut and paste the wrong information, or otherwise
>  mess up what should be typed into the Location bar, Konqueror supplies the
>  user with a fairly uninformative popup (see leftside of link).
>
> A proposal I suggest is to supply the user with some feedback as to the error
> without interrupting them to actually fix the error.  The suggestion (right
> side of link) is instead of having a popup window, konqueror will color
> the background of the location bar, put the right-aligned descriptive message
> that is slightly grayed and italicized (just like how the webpage titles are
> done on the dropdown and in firefox) and change the icon to the right from a
> folder to a warning sign (how do you know what you tried to type is infact a
> folder anyways, might be a URL, etc).

I agree to this suggestion since the users attention is already on the
location bar and the user will surely notice the color change.

And of course the cursor should stay in the location bar, so you can easily
fix the typo without using the mouse and click on the location bar again.

Jörg

--
Was denen einen ihr Watergate, ist den anderen ihr Firstgate.
- Thomas Bliessner, <slrnd1hklm.g53.nospam@melix.com.mx>