List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-03-30 8:14:01

El Miércoles 30 Marzo 2005 02:18, Tim Hutt escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note to say that using menu items that change from (for
> example) 'Show Offline Users' to 'Hide Offline Users' is a poor design.
>
> Changing the text requires that you actually *read* the menu each and
> every time you use it. This is obviously bad. Most people navigate gui's
> primarily by position. This is why they top left menu is always 'File'
> (or similar) and contains 'New', 'Open', 'Save' in that order. And
> 'Exit'/'Close' at the bottom. It helps to know where things are.
>
> Now obviously the menu items don't change place, but it is much much
> easier to find a constant text and see if the checkbox next to it is
> checked than it is to read the first word (and Show and Hide look quite
> similar).

I agree. The effect is worse with the italian localization, since "show" and
"hide" expand to strings of different length.

I think I have asked the rationale for the change while ranting about
something else... I got bitten by the konqueror "View"->"Show Details"
menu, btw;

Someone care to explain it?

Luciano

--