List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Wilco Greven <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2005-03-30 6:23:18

Op donderdag 31 maart 2005 10:05, schreef Luciano Montanaro:
> Thanks for your anser, at least now I know what is the reasoning behind the
> change. However, I'm not sure I agree. For my example,
>
> "View" -> "Show Details" -> Show(Hide) Size / Show(Hide) MIME Type ...
>
> It's harder to see, at a glance, which detail is enabled and whic is not.
> So, while with the checkboxes I have to look only at the category I'm
> interested in...
>
> I have no "muscle memory" for the options, as I don't use them all that
> much. But when I need them, I need to scan all the list, instead of the few
> I'm interested in.
>
> Moreover, the menu is not entirely consistent:
> The main entry is "Show Details", while the subitems are a mix of
> show/hide...
>
> You say menu entries should be actions, so simply "Details" is out of the
> question.
>
> Maybe both methods have their merits, but is the "Long" version so much
> better? Even considering the additional translation work it needs?

In this case I think the items in the submenu should be short items with
checkboxes. The parent item is there to describe what the items in the
submenu do. As long as there are only toggable items in the submenu there
shouldn't be any confusion what these items will do. The longer version is
clearer when the menu is mixed, containing both 'normal' actions and toggable
actions.

> Other people mention another problem with toggle menu items, which I think
> is actually bad:
> toggle items aren't recognizable when they are not enabled.

Indeed, it would be great if that problem could be fixed.

Wilco