List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Janet Theobroma <theobroma () revelinux ! com>
Date:       2005-03-13 20:40:25

> that said, there's no reason why a Club Konqi couldn't take regular surveys
> and collate the needs / desires / etc of members, both individual as well
> as organizational, and incorporate that information into KDE releases. this
> would be the equivalent of getting that front row seat to Pearl Jam. we'd
> communicate which changes were a result of this feedback and help, of
> course. and this is all doable by non-developers.
>
> this is the sort of relationship i'd personally feel most comfortable with
> when it comes to getting people involved.

I think we all agree on a few points. It is obviously important to everyone
that we listen and respect the opinions of our users. It is also important
that our developers have the freedom and creativity to code the way they see
fit. What we really need is a balanced way to accomplish both.

I think Aaron was really on to something with the survey idea. With the
frustration being voiced about Gnomes lack of concern about their users
desires I think we have a unique opportunity to again set us apart from the
competition. But I don't think this should be a Konqui fan club. I think this
should be driven by the developers. I think we should make an online
questionnaire for all our users to comment on how we are doing, what they
want in the future, and how we could do better. I think we should ask all our
users to fill this out from the big corporate users to the small home users.

When we got the results of surveys we would give it to all the
developers and this is what they would base their priorities on it. This way
they are basing their new features and fixes on what the users desires but
they are not losing any of their freedom. This would be the balance between
just doing what we want and the other extreme of doing all the features that
the users want with no attention to our interests and experience. We wouldn't
need a bounty system because we would already be addressing our users needs
and our developers needs in a very visible and respectful way.

Then when we come out with KDE 4.0 we could have a big campaign...

This is what you asked for:
etc etc

This is what we delivered:
etc etc