List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: What is obvious?; Context sensitive sidebars.
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-03-13 16:31:57

Le sam 12/03/2005 à 21:45, Sven Burmeister a écrit :
> Lets say it finds *.jpg, so it looks through its DB what functionality is
> registered for konqueror + jpg. First there are those general things
> applicable to all file-types, i.e. burn, copy and so on.

Just one suggestion: instead of a "konqueror + image/jpeg" association,
perhapse just "image/jpeg" would be bettre (or even "image/*").
So, selecting (JPEG) images in Konqueror AND selecting attached images
in a mail in KMail would show the same features: eg. "Slideshow".

A slideshow component would not need to register for every applications
but just say "Hey: if you have a set of images, just tell me and I will
offer a slideshow service".

It could also be reused into Kopete for sent images...

More interesting, an application would not register for "konqueror +
image/jpeg" but for "modifiable + image/jpeg" or "readOnly +
image/jpeg".

So, a "Copy To..." service could be used for every files in every
applications, but a "Move To..." would be offered for "modifiable + */*"
So, KMail could say "readOnly + image/jpeg" for its attached files.
Only "Copy To..." would be proposed to save files to disk, as a "Move
To..." is unrelevant.

Additionaly, some data are not files. Such as contacts in Kopete...
Or some data could be files a time, and only data at another time.
eg: a text file is "modifiable + text/plain", but a selected part of
text in Kate is a data "abstractData + text/plain"...
(see DragAndDrop/CopyPaste specs for more details)

I haven't tough a lot for that, nor if it could really be useful...
But that's a good start, I think.