List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-03-13 20:42:51

Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2005 21:20, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
>

>>maybe he complains because the feature should have been done years ago?
>

> According to what scaleß
>

>>This is about using users money in order to speed up development and
>>increase the number of developers.
>

> You think that bounties will attract new developers not familiar with KDE
> code, they write a patch (which as mentioned maybe newer applied to KDE),
> get their money and then continue to contribute to KDE *without money*?
>
> I guess you overestimate the sustainability of a bit money.
>
> Bye,
>    Steve

Hi Steve. :-) This may be true. I may be overly optimistic, but why not try?
Since nobody's freedom will be hurt in any way?

I am confident that, with a new donation system, KDE would not loose
developers (because noone would be forced to accept an offer; you are free to
keep up coding like you do now). On the contrary, we would slowly *gain*
developers and, more importantly, the overall man-hours of coding will
increase.  Why? Because, if users feel they are influencing KDE and speed up
the features they really want, they will pay *much* more. The amount of
donations will slowly but gradually increase, and developers will eventually
be able to *make a living* implementing features and fixing bugs. Developers
which currently work in the spare time will be able to work full-time. KDE
will evolve at a faster pace.

Maurizio