List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Gábor_Lehel <illissius () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-12 13:01:55

I don't like the sound of all this 'guarantee' stuff. Why not just
have plain old-fashioned bounties? Let people pledge a certain amount
of money they would pay if the feature were implemented, and otherwise
everything stays the same, the devs just have something else they can
take into account when prioritising bugs/wishes -- it would work much
like votes do now, except money speaks rather louder than votes do*.

I see two problems with this, one technical and one more 'fundamental':
the technical one: how to make sure people actually pay what they have
pledged when the feature is implemented? obviously, they should not
have to pay anything until it is.
the fundamental one: it may have a rather negative affect on code
quality if people start doing ugly hacks just to claim the money. is
there any way this could be avoided?

Overall, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea, but it's certainly an
interesting one.

* before someone misinterprets this, I'm not suggesting to replace
votes with bounties (rather to have both), just comparing the two