List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: What is obvious?; Context sensitive sidebars.
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-03-12 10:49:35

Hi Aaron!

Am Samstag, 12. März 2005 03:09 schrieb Aaron Seigo:

> didn't we just finish discussing how it isn't intuitive for new users?
> perhaps  you could refer to that thread...

I am new to this list, so sorry for repeating the obvious. Why was there not
added some text for 3.4 then?

> > http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Context-Sidebar
>
> this totally fails on lower resolution screens

Might be, yet there will be less and less of those, apparently people tend to
buy bigger displays, leaving aside those WXGA displays. And as one could turn
the sidebar off anyway I do not see your point.

> and does not look
> particularly more useful. the toolbar seems to have been usurped for a very
> complex side bar.

You might have read that comment above the picture, just a crude drawing...,
so there definitely needs to be put some thought into the amount and type of
stuff put on the sidebar. I simply put all I could think of on it.

> i also think it's largely a solution looking for a problem. kmail's
> composer (shown in your screenshot) really doesn't present huge issues for
> the user. what would the sidebar provide, really?

It would provide obvious functionality, i.e. written out as a basis. Further
have a look at the XP sidebars for the explorer and gnome's dashboard to get
some idea.

The composer was re-done for 3.4, so there were issues. Not every problem has
to be(come) huge in order to be improved. Yet again, it is just a crude
drawing, not a final draft of how it should be, so I would not pick on the
small things.

As you did not find a single positive thing in the idea I somehow do not know
what to think, as I have seen many people who found Copy To.., as well as
e.g. Slideshow for pictures on the XP sidebar immediately, because it was
written out. So there is definitively a thing that could be improved, as they
did not in KDE.
IMHO you dismissed all of it a bit too quickly, especially that
first point about displays, which absolutely no valid reason if you think
about it, lets me think that.

About that dot.kde.org article, point taken.

I updated the wiki to include the answers to your points.

Sven