List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Showed LiveCD with 3.4 beta
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-25 17:55:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 25 February 2005 09:06, roko wrote:
> The text next to icons should give users information what will happen when
> they click the button.
> When do they need this information?
> *Before* they click!

bingo.

> Changing  the position or size of any control after activating should be
> avoided.
> It's irritating and hinders use of motor memory.

bingo.

> Therefore show the text always or never!
>
> Or better: make the navigations panel /side bar  a tool bar, then users can
> select the size of the icons, text position and  panel position.

hum... the sidebar could really use a complete redesign, yes. perhaps those on
this list could start working on mock ups of new concepts and ideas which we
can then work on (refining, cross-polinating ideas, testing on users, etc)
and then implement one of them for KDE4.

i'd propose that we would hold off on implementing any of the ideas until
there is general consensus (not unanimity =) here and on kfm-devel, to avoid
loss of work or, worse, picking the final result not by merit of the idea but
because "well, this one got code written for it..."

the end result need no look anything like the current side bar, or even any
side bar concept that exists. it doesn't even have to look like a sidebar.
maybe that idea is a bad one in general! who knows? (someone on this list? =)

here is a basic description of what the current side bar tries to do (hopefuly
i don't miss to many important items =):

=======
provides an augmentary view to the main window that allows for additional, but
related, actions to be taken simultaneously to the main activity.

a means to navigate alternatively, be that through folders on the file system,
available services, bookmarks, history, etc.

is easily extensible so new concepts can be added easily and without large
changes to the interface.

doesn't take over the entire view.
=======

--