List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Showed LiveCD with 3.4 beta
From:       roko <ro_ko () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-02-25 16:06:20

> I showed the KDE 3.4 Live CD to some friends the other day. In their
> oppinion (and now mine) the text that accompaines the icons in the
> navigational panel should fall down below the icon when it is clicked.

The text next to icons should give users information what will happen when
they click the button.
When do they need this information?
*Before* they click!
After clicking they see what effect clicking had, they see the changed content
of the navigation panel and then they don't need the text anymore.

And:
Changing  the position or size of any control after activating should be
avoided.
It's irritating and hinders use of motor memory.

Therefore show the text always or never!

Or better: make the navigations panel /side bar  a tool bar, then users can
select the size of the icons, text position and  panel position.