List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde] quick question about desktop text]
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-13 21:45:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 13 February 2005 07:23, Liam Smit wrote: another dialog and not in
> 'Background Icon Text' options do not belong in the 'Advanced Background
> Settings' dialogue. Looking at the other contents of this dialogue i.e.
> 'Background Program' and 'Memory Usage' it seems out of place.

and round and round we go! out, in, out, in!

for the kcontrol work in for KDE4 i'm going to suggest, even insist, on the
following:

	o we reconsider the granularity of a "control panel" to minimize these
discussions, which are mostly the result of having so many concepts (note:
different than "widgets") per panel that there are a million ways to arrange
them, none of them really satisfactory

	o we document the rational behind each and every control panel including how
it's contents were decided upon, how the widgets were decided upon and how
the arrangement of those widgets were decided upon

this way we can hopefully avoid doing what we do now: waste everyone's time by
having conversation A to arrive at layout(A), 6 months later have
conversation B to arrive at layout(B), 6 months later have conversation C to
arrive at ..... layout(A)! it's not fair for those who have been involved for
a long time to have to go through this cycle of redundancy, and it's not fair
to those who recently join the efforts to not have any way of knowing just
what has been done.

i'm not sure what form either of the two suggested/insisted points above will
take yet. ideas welcome, but they need to be realistic, low overhead and
simple. this means no "xml database backend website with jsp middleware" or
"7 levels of review with 9 different colours of stars coded to the state of
progress" type ideas ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo