List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Systray Usability
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-06 7:27:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 February 2005 09:58, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> the app doesn't really quit sometimes.  Even in OSX when you select
> File/Quit it always quits the application vs when you close the main window
> it doesn't exit the application (like the system tray).

File/Quit always quits the app (including the systray). closing the window
doesn't. note that in MacOS simply closing windows doesn't quite the app.
never has. this is because they have an external widget, the menubar, just
like we have the external system tray.

> I guess it is really about consistency.  I don't think any application
> should ever be in the system tray (k3b, aim, media player, etc).

this is a nice theory that breaks down in practice. the system tray _is_
convenient and even useful if used specifically for status and as an
interface to apps that don't have a strong primary interface (which IMO a
contact list isn't).

you say users keep asking you for systray icons. ask yourself, Why?

--
Aaron J. Seigo