List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Systray Usability
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben+kdeusability () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2005-02-06 4:58:54

On Sunday 06 February 2005 12:50 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 05 February 2005 04:31, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > How about having every application sit in the System "Tray". :)  And the
> > system tray would be intigrated into the taskbar to make them look the
> > same...
>
> well, because this absolutely destroys the semantics of the system tray. it
> does, actually, have a fairly decently defined purpose in life. the fact
> that some apps abuse it [...snip]

I honestly have no clue what the point of system tray is for, most likely for
that very reason you state (so many apps that abuse it).  As a developer I
have made a few apps use it, but only after much pestering by users, or as a
req on a job.  As a user it pisses me off that when I "quit" the app doesn't
really quit sometimes.  Even in OSX when you select File/Quit it always quits
the application vs when you close the main window it doesn't exit the
application (like the system tray).

I guess it is really about consistency.  I don't think any application should
ever be in the system tray (k3b, aim, media player, etc).  Only quick system
tools (wifi, keyboard swaping, clipboard, etc) should be.  But that is just
the user side of me.

It might be nice if there was a kdeglobals option to not use the system tray.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc