List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System Preferences
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben+kdeusability () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2005-02-06 6:15:17

On Friday 04 February 2005 11:16 am, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Le Jeudi 3 Février 2005 20:28, Benjamin Meyer a écrit :
> > It is a seperate application
>
> I think you should really try technically to make it a new visualisation
> mode in the actual KControl. If your KControl is just another KDEnonbeta
> application, you will have a lot of difficulties finding a consensus to
> ditch the actual KControl and replace it by yours + Jason's input.

Well... I don't plan on making it just another prototype.  :P  It is already
much more then that and I plan on continuing to clean it up and work on
features that people have been talking about for KDE4 forever.

> After everybody has played with your mode and like it, we can make it the
> default mode and then take away the tree visualisation mode.

One reason why I can't just make it another view is that it isn't just another
view, but the application has its own groupings and some are even named
differently.  For example battery life is now in "Power" which is in
"Hardware".  Vs right now where it is in "Power Control"  Also on a much more
technical level the search and viewall are in the toolbar which doesn't mesh
with the other views.  At first I was looking to tweak KControl, but the more
I looked at it the more I realized there was simply too many changes.  Also
KControl is a very political beast especially considering that it is in such
bad shape so I had to have something so different it would have a new name
( vs kdenonbeta/kcontrol8 ).  I have gotten it in a working state and plan on
continuing to fix it and work on it.  Part of the idea is to try new things.
Move the menu around, use a toolbar, embed the windows, don't embed the
windows, use icons, trees, etc.  And most off all to get feedback.  I have
been making some noise on here and other lists and received a lot of feedback
which I have been working on incorporating back in.  This way when KDE4 comes
around there will be an app that a lot of people have already looked at
rather then 100 chefs in the kitchen all at the same time.

> > Sounds interesting.  Course I could just search the docs right now...
>
> Yes. Even if today it is a very crude 'grep', it will push developpers to
> write the fancy desktop indexer that KDE needs.

Yah, a lot of the feedback I have received has revolved around the searching
capabilities.  I plan on looking into several ideas to enhance the searching
(not gui related).

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox