List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sliders and spinboxes.
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2004-12-17 17:10:25

On Friday 17 December 2004 15:15, Charles de Miramon wrote:

> > I agree that actions are a power user feature --- and a feature I was
> > much inclined to remove. However, the feedback I receive indicate massive
> > usage, so maybe I was wrong. I don't want to base such a decision a mere
> > supposition --- I want measurements, or at least real world experience.
>
> The only way to 'remove' a feature in KDE is to split the application
> between a vanilla version and a super application with all the toppings.
> Nobody will object that you suppress actions in Klipper if you can answer
> 'you need them, then install SuperKlipper in kdeaddons'.
> In refactoring the Klipper code, you should try, I think, to move in a
> solution with a common core and several shells more or less complex.

That's is where I am heading. But please remember, I started with a program
that was essentially 4 files: actions, preferences, clipboard polling and
everything else. I will need some iterations for that to turn into a plugin
based architecture :) For the next release, I have factored out the GUI code
and the history code from the clipboard maintainance code. Now I want to
stabilize this :)

> > > The general goal is to diminish the complexity of Kicker and Kicker's
> > > applets.
> >
> > I'm sorry to hear that :-( I would rather increase the power and
> > usability of the applets.
>
> Over configurability does not mean more power and more usability.

I agree, but we might disagree on "overconfigurability" :o) E.g, the current
Klipper configuration has about the right number of options if we ignore the
action tab, but the layout and the usability of that config is horrendous.

> Our actual user base is mostly power users. But, we would like to build a
> desktop where people with little or no interest in computers feel
> confortable without alienating our actual user base.

A honourable and elusive goal, indeed! I myself would prefer directing users
that want simple configuration (with the corresponding lack of easy-to-reach
options) to Gnome, which does such an excellent job in this area. I really do
not want KDE to become Gnome2... currently they supplement each other so
nicely, IMHO.

> Klipper is important because it is installed as a basis on Kicker in the
> KDE distributed by most distributions. New users will discover it very
> quickly.

Yes, it is very important --- also because it provides functionality
(clipboard history) which all but the most hesitant user will appreciate.

> Your plan for Kicker looks great. I think everybody will be willing to help
> you to create the best usability our common brain can fathom

Thanks :-) I really appreciates your help --- while I'm somewhat used to
usability issues, I'm not much of a UI designer.

--
regards. Esben