List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-09 21:18:11

> Indexing may be useful for one plugin but useless to another. Metadata
> extracting will probably be meaningless for most plugins.

I disagree on this, though.  For most plugins, metadata extraction would
be great.

Note when I say plugin I mean a specialized piece of software that
extracts data/metadata from a file, then feeds it onto a searchable
index.  NOT a search UI plugin.

Throughout this discussion, a search plugin is understood to be a piece of
software that searches for anything that you could search for. A plugin
to search for files is just one of many possibilities. And yes, metadata
extracting is useful for files. But what is the meaning of the term
'metadata' for a Amazon.com DVD search plugin?

What you are talking about is the internal working of the file search
plugin. That's not primarily what this discussion is about. This
discussion is about the general search framework of KDE and how to extend
it to a much more generic and powerful tool.