List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-09 20:45:30

>From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
>Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:16 -0500
>
>El mar, 08-06-2004 a las 03:02, Dik Takken escribió:
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to post this to core-devel when 3.3 is released. A
>discussion about
> > > optimizing the search backend really belongs there. Some of the people
>on
> > > there probably will have some really solid ideas about it.
> >
> > Yes I agree, but not before the desired user experience has been defined
> > by us on this list.
>
>Ridiong on this train of thought,
>
>I don't know about internet searches, but I would like a search tool
>that:
>
>1. is available just like kfind is
>2. is available in the file manager
>3. is available in file/open dialogs
>4. performs rich searches and returns results in less than three seconds
>5. automatically updates when a file is changed to match the search
>criteria
>6. lets me search by
>    a) date
>    b) keywords
>    c) any kind of metadata present in the file
>    d) full text

So, what here wasn't in the proposed changes that started this thread? As
far as I can tell, it is all there. If it is not, please state what is not,
so that I can see about where to work it into the UI.

1) The proposal included a standalone program like KFind, and a pane of that
which could be embedded as a kpart.
2) The proposal had one section that could be embedded as a kpart, and a
sidebar which could be used in Konqueror.
3) A huge portion to the proposal was dedicated to search options in file
selection dialogs.
4) The results of the searching are really implementation details, not part
of the interface design. It is assumed the system will be optimized for
speed.
5) That is completely an implementation issue. If it can be done without too
much overhead, good.
6) Everything you listed is included in the current KFind, and none was
removed in the proposal.

[snip]