List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-09 21:34:43

> I have done some calculations with some code, and, assuming you have a
> file indexing daemon which uses a notification system and extracts
> metadata (and a small portion of data, say, for a full text indexing
> database), you'd be looking at one or two seconds of indexing per file,
> at a 20 niceness level.

> That ain't slow.  Coupled with a register/notification
> (observer/observable pattern for queries) system for a hypothetical
> search daemon, you could add a word "Casaperrogato" to one of your
> OpenOffice documents, and see it appear in a search window in approx. 10
> seconds.
>
> That's much more immediate than Windows search, and it is possible.

Indexing and caching can only be done on a per-plugin basis, because
Google won't send you notifications if anything changed for example. So,
for now, caching and indexing is an implementation 'detail' of file
searching plugins.

In my opinion, file indexing and caching does not really belong in a
Desktop Environment. We should either use existing DE independent systems,
or develop one of our own that can be used by KDE search plugins. I'm
afraid this is a bit out of the scope of the KDE project. We develop a
Desktop Environment, not a data mining solution.

Cheers!

Dik