List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Default kicker postion
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-06-09 21:12:43

Le mer 09/06/2004 à 18:04, Florian Graessle a écrit :

Come to me my friend :-D

> You always say that a normal kicker size is
> better. But why? It has a lot of flaws and wastes precious space.

I'm asking the same question.

> It also wastes a lot of space. Especially on systems with low resolution
> I don't think it a good idea to trim down precious space which should be
> better used to draw the windows.

I agree.
But I'm perhapse too paranoid : I hate to lose any pixels of my screen.
Screens are already small...

> Large icons as targets are by first sight a nice idea. But you forget
> that the kicker icons are the icons the user gets accustomed to fastest
> (as opposed to random toolbar icons, file type icons or the icons in
> the KMenu, which btw are normally very small). They are always there,
> are static, don't change their funcionality. Plus they are at an edge,
> even at a corner of the screen, and can thus be found very easily.
> Furthermore there aren't too many, and people don't tend to put there
> many more (maybe because the big buttons are wasting space). If they do
> they do it by purpose and normally in a personal order that doesn't need
> the visual support the big icons give. The only problem of smaller icons
> in my opinion is poor icon design with too many colors and too much
> photo realism. But that's another story..

I totaly agree.
And a lot of distributions also resize down the kicker size.
Theire is certainly a reason !!

I also wanted to point out the two row taskbar : when closing a window,
all taskbar entries are moved up / down...
It's not very good because we can't expect the position of a task in the
taskbar.
And we then must can in TWO dimentions.
And it's know to be not good for usability.

My two cents.