List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] kdebase/kwin/clients/b2
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2004-05-16 23:12:35

On Sunday 16 May 2004 21:25, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >From: Sandro Giessl <sandro@giessl.com>
> >Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:40:14 +0200
> >
> >Am Sunday 16 May 2004 15:21 schrieb Luciano Montanaro:
> > > CVS commit by montanaro:
> > >
> > > Made the "Shade" tooltip dynamic. Now it says "Unshade" when the
> > > window is shaded. Maybe "Roll up" and "Roll down" are better? I'm not
> > > sure, since English is not my mothertongue.
> > > CCMAIL: kwin@kde.org
> >
> >Yes, I also like the terms "Roll Up" and "Roll Down" better. But I'm not
> >a native english speaker either...
> >What do kde-usability people think about it?
>
> "Shade" doesn't seem to have any real reasoning to it. The most common use
> of "Shade" is just for an area with less light, which has no relation to
> this. Then there's shading in drawing, and that's similarly unrelated. I
> assume the Mac guys picked it meaning it like a window-shade, which can be
> pulled up to reveal the window, but there also doesn't seem to be much
> logic to that.

I think the analogy to the real world is the window shade.
Maybe "Roll up" and "Unroll" are the verbs to use, in this case.
Unroll is the verb I had in mind in Italian, I wrongly supposed that the
opposite of rolling up is rolling down :).
The "Maximize" button has "Restore" as its opposite, and maybe it couuld be
used for this case too. I think it to be clear enough, and it saves
some work to the translators.

> So, yeah, "Roll Up" and "Roll Down" make more sense. I personally prefer
> "Collapse" and "Expand" because I like single-word verbs, and it allows for
> the single-word descriptors of a window being "Collapsed" or "Expanded".
>
> Further, the term "Roll Down" is not a common phrase (in the US) while
> "Roll Up" is, so they sound a little weird together. "Roll Up" is included
> in most dictionaries due to being so common, while "Roll Down" is not.
>
> "Expand" and "Collapse" are, also, more in tune with "Minimize",
> "Maximize", and "Restore".

Yes, they could do, but I think they are a bit vague.

> "Roll Up" and "Roll Down" are a little better than shade, but I "Expand"
> and "Collapse" are even better than that.
>
> But don't just take my word for it. Anyone else want to comment?

Thanks for your comments,
Luciano
- --
Luciano Montanaro //