List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] kdebase/kwin/clients/b2
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-05-17 10:13:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 16 May 2004 21.25, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >From: Sandro Giessl <sandro@giessl.com>
> >Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:40:14 +0200
> >
> >Am Sunday 16 May 2004 15:21 schrieb Luciano Montanaro:
> > > CVS commit by montanaro:
> > >
> > > Made the "Shade" tooltip dynamic. Now it says "Unshade" when the
> > > window is shaded. Maybe "Roll up" and "Roll down" are better? I'm not
> > > sure, since English is not my mothertongue.
> > > CCMAIL: kwin@kde.org
> >
> >Yes, I also like the terms "Roll Up" and "Roll Down" better. But I'm not
> >a native english speaker either...
> >What do kde-usability people think about it?
>
> "Shade" doesn't seem to have any real reasoning to it. The most common use
> of "Shade" is just for an area with less light, which has no relation to
> this. Then there's shading in drawing, and that's similarly unrelated. I
> assume the Mac guys picked it meaning it like a window-shade, which can be
> pulled up to reveal the window, but there also doesn't seem to be much
> logic to that.

A window shade is another name for a roller blind.  It rolls up, it rolls
down, but you would more likely say you unroll it, or unshade it.  It's also
extended to curtains in general - 'close the shades' simply means to draw the
curtains.  So by extension "The shades"

'Roll Up' and 'Unroll' would work fine for me.  'Roll Down' is probably not a
good choice.   I'm not too thrilled with 'expand' or 'collapse' it's unclear
that it would hide the entire window - maximizing a window currently covering
half the screen is certainly expanding it, and hitting maximize again in the
same window would restore the previous size, effectively collapsing the
content and the window, just not all the way.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, don't ignore the fact that it's been
called this for a very long time, not just on KDE and I don't see a whole lot
of questions about it (and I watch the KDE user lists, the newsgroup, and
multiple IRC channels where people ask for help.)

Does it really need to be changed at all?

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/