List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: proposal for the konqueror sidebar
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-05-07 4:48:15

Em Thursday 06 May 2004 20:08, Stian Søiland escreveu:
> On 2004-05-04 13:35:51, Davide Ferrari wrote:
> > And, most important of all (I'm thinking about it since some time),
> > there's a need to have a more dynamic and context-sensitive
> > rigm-mouse-button menù! it pops-up the same standard actions on all
> > entries, without caring about what that entry really does, and this is
> > not correct in my opinion.
>
> Agree!
>
> and the right-menu of today on files is TO LARGE.

Sure!

> Why are these options available when clicking on a file daniel.pdf?
>
>     Open in new window
>     Open in background tab
>     Open in new tab
>     Undo: Move
>     Paste
>     Add to bookmark
>     Preview in  (in addition to Open with)
>     Copy to public folder
>     Encrypt file
>     Edit file type
>     Create data CD with K3b
>
> Even more crap appears on .txt-files, and on directories it self, the
> whole screen is filled with some popup menu. It is totally useless.
>

> This makes it really hard to find what I'm really looking for. (This
> time: Open with .. Acrobat reader)
>
> These are the only options that should be displayed, in this order:
>
>     Open with ..
>     Cut
>     Copy
>     Rename
>     Move to trash
>     Move to ..
>     Copy to ..
>     Properties

I would go with:

	Open >
	------------------
	Cut
	Copy
	Rename
	Move to trash
	More actions >
	----------------------
	Properties

where:
	Open:
		In new tab
		In new background tab
		In new window
		----------------------------------
		as preview in >
		as stand alone application >

		as preview:
			Acrobat Reader
			KPDF
			KGhostView

		as stand alone application:
			Acrobat Reader
			KPDF
			KGhostView

	More actions:
		Copy to...
		Move to...
		--------------------------
		Encrypt File
		Zip file
		Create data CD with K3b

Edit file type should (i think it already is) in "Properties"

Maybe we could find better names for "as preview in" and "as stand alone
application".

Also, apps should use submenus when they want to add more than one item:

	Compress this file:
		Zip
		Tar and Bzip2
		Tar and Gzip
		Rar
	Privacy:
		Sign
		Encrypt

Also, Ark add the same icon to various actions... that's wrong IMO. In my
concept, icons should distinguish items... but if you use the same icon,
icons lost their use. If apps add various items inside their submenu, the
submenu could have the app icon and the submenu items have no icon at all (if
they all were to be equal).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri