List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-05-07 4:44:54

Em Thursday 06 May 2004 19:58, Stian Søiland escreveu:
> On 2004-05-07 00:53:17, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > level more than multiple choices. What I really dislike is to have sub
> > menus with folders on some subfolders... that would be really bad and
> > will bloat the whole thing. The up button is supposed to be a quick way
> > to put a file one level up and that's it. The other more complex
> > operations should use the spatial view (one window with the source and
> > other with destination), the tree or something else.
>
> Why?
>
> It would be inconsistent, when navigating on the "Up"-button it is
> possible to select from a list "how far do you want to go".
>
> Why shouldn't this list be available for dropping things too? Users
> familiarized with the "Up" popup list will recognize this immediately
> when trying to drag a file to it.

Because IMHO it's better simple than bloated.

If you start to have menus with lots of stuff everywhere you'll start to get
annoyed. You often don't read things and stop using that.

I myself don't use the menu from Up and find it really annoying. I would like
to improve konqueror render speed (not that it's bad now) so I can go up
clicking Up faster.

Another reason to not use menus is small screens. Right now I use 14" monitor
at 800x600, almost every kde menu take the whole screen height... that sucks.
If I have 10 subdirs in ~, each one is 20px, it's 200px already... compute
32px from the kpanel, some more from the kwin, toolbar and menu and your
screen is full.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri