List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: proposal for the konqueror sidebar
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-05-06 23:33:05

Le ven 07/05/2004 à 01:08, Stian Søiland a écrit :
> These are the only options that should be displayed, in this order:
>
>     Open with ..
>     Cut
>     Copy
>     Rename
>     Move to trash
>     Move to ..
>     Copy to ..
>     Properties

Hum...
The order is OK for me.
But I would suggest :
    Open with    >
    Preview with >
    Actions      >

All open actions should effectivly be on top of the menu.
Because it is the main actions we usually do.
I don't use Preview with but porvide it for consistency.
Actions are really needed indeed !
I often use one of the proposed actions !!!
And two three should be together, on top.

Open in new window and Open in new tab could be very usefull !
I don't care of theire disapearings because I use middle click to open
folders in new tab and pratically never use Open in new window.
But for newbees (or even non-geek users) the tab browsing feature could
be absent if not present in the RMB.
Of course, Open in background tab is useless and redundant since this
thing can be configured in the tab page.

One unrelated thing : we should be able to Shift+middleClick for Open in
new window, as it's consistent with middleClick for Open in new tab.
And it solve partially the problem.
Another solution would be to move the Open in new * in the Open with >
submenu (at end) like this :
Open with >
    KWrite
    Kate
    FooBar
    --------
    in new tab            middleClick
    in new window         Shift+middleClick
    Other application...
Then, display the middleClick and Shift+middleClick shortcut, even if it
is now a keyboard shortcut would help users to memorize it and do not
travel the submenu later times.
It is easily doable in QT : setText(i18n("in new tab\tmiddleClick"));
And add a greated power.