List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl again...
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2004-02-05 21:59:38

> No good static organization exists for the panel. You have to assign
> metadata
> to all the items that are now in the kcc listbox, and allow the user to
> dynamically list all items that match with one OR MORE chosen metadata.
> e.g.
> show all the items that match "keyboard" and "international".

You already have the option to search for items in kcontrol, and i hardly
think the ammount of data is big enough to warrent advanced searches.
Furthermore i think having to search for things actually complicates the
program quite a lot, considering the user will both have to know what they
are looking for, and what exact word is used for it. I for instance was
quite surprised not to find the word "keyboard" while having the language
switched to danish, considering i hardly ever see the word "tastetur"
used, but i of course am used to talking to geeks... But i had no problem
finding it in the tree. So i hardly think searching for things is the best
way. It would also be cumbersome if you were going to change a bunch of
things. I also doubt boolean searching is of much help,
"tastatur" (keyboard) for instance only resulted in 4 entries, and i think
that is a quite common word.

What might be a good idea, is a waaaay scaled down version of the control
center designed for normal users, in addition to the current one which is
very geek friendly

Mvh
Troels