List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Toolbar item separators: spacer vs. line
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-05 22:26:15

On February 5, 2004 14:56, Sandro Giessl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not happy with the way toolbar item separators are handled by the
> KXMLGUIFactory.
> There are two sorts of seperators:
> - blank spacer: It's defined with "<Separator/>" in KDE's .rc files, is
> the default and most KDE apps are using it.
> http://www.tnt22.com/files_sandro/spacesep.png
> - line separator: Defined with something like "<Separator
> lineSeparator="true"/>". Only very few apps are using it and it's not
> possible to add it with the "Configure Toolbars...". To get it, you
> have to hack the .ui file by hand.
> http://www.tnt22.com/files_sandro/linesep.png

this reminds me that we (i? =) need to work on the Configure Toolbars dialog
for this release. in particular:

 o a Defaults button
 o ability to re-add merge points
 o hiding the toolbar combobox if there is only one toolbar to configure
 o when a toolbar is merged, show the items for that toolbar at the merge
point so that the user doesn't have to hunt down the right toolbar in the
combobox
 o do SOMEthing with the combobox that's nicer than what's there right now in
the case of multiple toolbars?

> I would like to propose two usability improvements:
> - It sould be possible to distinguish between them in the toolbar
> dialog, maybe call the one "--- Spacer ---" and the other "--- Line
> ---" or what ever. This would make it possible for those who prefer one
> kind of separator in favor of the other to configure their toolbars for
> their needs.
> - I think line separators should definitely be made default -- add
> "<Separator/>" to get the line and disable the line using "<Separator
> lineSeparator="false"/>".
> The spacers are just too inconspicuous and thus they serve almost no
> usability purpose. IMHO all they do is to make the toolbars look even
> more cluttered as they are; visually impaired people might not even
> notice them.

this really depends on the style ... nicely implemented line separators are
nice, but not all styles have nice looking line seps. for styles like Plastik
and Keramik they are nicer indeed...

> What do you think?

would be cool to at least try out and test...

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();