List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Toolbar item separators: spacer vs. line
From:       Sandro Giessl <ceebx () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-02-05 21:56:29

Hi all,

I'm not happy with the way toolbar item separators are handled by the
KXMLGUIFactory.
There are two sorts of seperators:
- blank spacer: It's defined with "<Separator/>" in KDE's .rc files, is
the default and most KDE apps are using it.
http://www.tnt22.com/files_sandro/spacesep.png
- line separator: Defined with something like "<Separator
lineSeparator="true"/>". Only very few apps are using it and it's not
possible to add it with the "Configure Toolbars...". To get it, you
have to hack the .ui file by hand.
http://www.tnt22.com/files_sandro/linesep.png

I would like to propose two usability improvements:
- It sould be possible to distinguish between them in the toolbar
dialog, maybe call the one "--- Spacer ---" and the other "--- Line
---" or what ever. This would make it possible for those who prefer one
kind of separator in favor of the other to configure their toolbars for
their needs.
- I think line separators should definitely be made default -- add
"<Separator/>" to get the line and disable the line using "<Separator
lineSeparator="false"/>".
The spacers are just too inconspicuous and thus they serve almost no
usability purpose. IMHO all they do is to make the toolbars look even
more cluttered as they are; visually impaired people might not even
notice them.

What do you think?
I will try to write the patches if you agree with me.

regards,
  Sandro