List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-07 14:18:49

Dnia Wednesday 07 of January 2004 13:39, Marco Martin napisał:
> I think you're right, it would be nice doing it in the way of Panther:
> the icons in the sidebar are dinamically resized to fit the window, but
> for now is maybe too heavy for X11, so i think 24x24 pixel should be ok.
> Another problem of the current sidebar of the file selector is that it
> have a fixed width, so if the text under the icons is too long an
> horizontal scrollbar appears under the sidebar an that looks very odd:
> if the default look would be text alongside 24x24 icons this problem
> would be even more noticeable.

Agree. There should be the way to prevent completely appearing
of horizontal scrollbar.

> > Also adding the possibility to add directories to the location list on
> > the left by drag and drop (and indicating it by "Drag & Drop Folders
> > Here to Add) would be very nice. I just realized you can do it by
> > right-clicking the list, but again, most users will not realize and
> > dragging and droppling entries from the file-selector is more
> > convenient anyway.
>
> in 3.2 DnD works, but there is nothing that informs the user that this
> is possible, so for now this feature is hidden to the newUser(tm)

Drag'n'Drop note in Gtk is a nice idea. IMO it should be add to KDE3.2
even now during string freeze.

> There is either the sidebar and the bookmarks menu, which i find only a
> duplication of the same feature, i think the links in the bookmarks menu
> and the links in the sidebar should be the same and when the sidebar is
> enabled the bookmarks menu should be disabled (like the home button in
> the toolbar). The Con would be that the bookmarks menu won't be able to
> have subcategories any longer.

Yes. Bookmarks icon is misleading.
Maybe add Bookmarks as panel entry as in Gtk screenshots? In this way it
is obvious panel shortcuts and Bookmarks are different things. Also
predefined History entry is a good idea.

> The second thing is that the combobox in the top-right that handles the
> path is editable: i find this useful but i found myself many times
> writing the entire pathname in that box (filename included) and
> wondering why i didn't got the file opened, so i had to write the
> filename in the textbox under the iconview. I find it very confusing.
> It would be good having the top-right combobox no more editable(but in
> this case it will lose functionality) or it should open the file if i
> write for example /home/mart/foo.txt in that box and i press enter, like
>   the filename box.

No! t-r combobox is one of the greatest features of KDE file dialog.
If anything can be done add rather opening of files from this combobox.

This is extremely useful for moving between directories.

m.