List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <luke () linuxcomment ! com>
Date:       2004-01-07 13:33:49

Hiya...

Firstly, I must admit to being happily attached to my KDE fileselector. To
be honest, I don't think there is very much that can/needs to be done to
improve it.

The point of the bookmarks menu duplicating the sidebar to a certain extent
is fair. It does afford additional functionality for power users, and users
who are used to web browser navigation will find it easier to identify with
immediately. Overall, it's not in the way and isn't creating any great
confusion, by all accounts. I'm sure the OSNews OSXers/GNOMErs would object
to having the spare button for anything less than 90% of users, but to my
mind, it's not causing a problem, and honestly does not clutter the
interface. With Crystal, in fact, it uses the star icon, which brightens up
the interface somewhat. If you look at the GTK fs mockups, they are very
utilitarian with almost no icons, no colour and no distinctions between
areas of the interface. To my eyes, it's dull and ugly, but that's just my
opinion. It is also my opinion that KDe does well with end users, because
they see the fileselector and other dialogs and interfaces hour after hour,
day after day, and anything that can brighten up the interface will likely
brighten up the user too. You can say what you like about Windows XP (and I
frequently do), but the new colour scheme, with the blue, green, brighter
icons and cream/brown windows does make things a little less depressing for
the daily user.

As for the editable location field, it really is useful, I'm afraid. Maybe
catching the situation where the user enters the full filename and opening
that peroperly would be more beneficial.

I think the only thing I would change about my KDE fs is the location
drop-down and making that a tree view like Windows uses. Aside from that,
I'm utterly content :)

Oh, and in presentability terms, I'd give the file entries in the selector a
bit of padding( 1px/2px ), to spread them from the edges and each other a
bit more. The density is just a bit too much atm. I suspect this has already
been done for 3.2, though :)

-Luke