List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: menus: icons and text
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-12-29 8:58:11

Dnia Monday 29 of December 2003 04:45, Simon Perreault napisał:
> On December 28, 2003 18:49, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > One of arguments is Apple and Windows don't use icons in submenus or
> > use it very rarely. But these persons are forgetting Apple has the best
> > on-screen font on the market[2] and MS isn't far behind. Linux still
> > has problems with really good displaying of fonts (especially small
> > which is case in menus) - and icons could really help with recognition.
>
> I agree with you, but this is not a valid argument. Rendering of fonts on
> Linux (using Freetype I assume) is exactly as good or better as on any
> other OS. The problem is that distros don't package quality fonts.

But what are quality fonts?

> > 	What is the official KDE-usability position here?
>
> About what? You talked about many things and I kinda got lost...

About inserting icons in menus whenever it makes sense, eg. in Kmail
in context menu on address in reader window is 6 actions, among them:
New mail to..., Reply to..., Forward to... IMO this is place
when you can put icons with obvious meaning (in umbrello they overdose
it). It would possible to find some other places eg. Properties entry in
all context menus and very nice blue (i) info icon.

In such situation lack of icons could be considered as usability bug or
the other way?

m.

ps. I files some time ago wish for this situations. (info - 68021, kmail
- 66740)