List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kioslaves in kinfocenter ?
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 7:15:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 00.07, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I think the ioslaves documentation should not be in kinfocenter, which show
> the components of your computer and which systems are working, but in
> khelpcenter.

1: They are already in khelpcenter, and that builds from the same source.
2: This panel was placed quite deliberately in kinfocenter, because
kinfocenter shows information about what is installed, not just hardware, but
software too (X Server for instance)
3: The point of the panel is the list of installed kioslaves, the fact it
happens to show some extended information about them is incidental, there is
no other place this information is available from the GUI, and since not all
kioslaves provide the additional documentation, the list in khelpcenter is
not a sufficient replacement.  On IRC, or in email, you can simply point
people asking for help to this panel, to find out if they have the audiocd,
or the fish, or whatever kioslave installed.
4: Given that the point of the panel is to display installed kioslaves, but
you can do no configuration here, the panel fits perfectly with the other
kinfocenter panels - which also show information about things installed, but
don't provide configuration.

> Who agrees ?

I don't.

Regards,