List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: MIME icons for KOffice
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-28 3:47:05

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Saturday 27 December 2003 23:48, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>
>>It is logical for a WordPerfect file to have a MIME type icon with the
>>WordPerfect application icon on it (to me that does reflect the content of
>>the file).  But, with a PostScript file, there is no application associated
>>with that MIME type and it needs to have a MIME type icon reflecting the
>>content of the file.
>>

> The idea breaks down when integration comes along. It wouldnt make sense for
> kword-documents to contain kword-art once it uses the same format as
> openoffice.org.

Yes, I agree with you here.  When we have a common document format, I hope that they have
a trademark like image for it.  If not, then we will need to use content based MIME type
icons like with PostScript files.

> If we used this concept we would need to treat work-formats
> (tied to an application) and publishable MIME-types (tied to a standard)
> differently.

This wouldn't be too illogical since there are different ways of naming MIME types that
correspond to these differences.  That is, those that have a major type: "application"
should be treated differently than those that start with a data type (i.e. audio, text,
video) which should probably have a content based icon.

> And even then there's a grey-zone with application-specific
> types that have become de-facto standards (like MS Word files).

This specific case has additional issues since we don't have a MS-Word application icon
and I presume that M$ wouldn't be very pleased if we used the official one

>>There is a better alternative when the data file format actually has an
>>trademark image associated with it like SVG and Acrobat.  But, others that
>>appear to be like this such as RPM and Real are just using the
>>application's icon.
>>

> All the Real-formats have been changed to generic video and audio icons to be
> able to distingues RealAudio and RealVideo.
>

>>alternatively, we could have all of the various MIME types for a generic
>>application type have the same MIME icon.
>>
>>For example: have all spreadsheets applications use the generic
>>'spreadsheet' icon for their files.  But then the MIME type icons are not
>>distinguishing between different MIME types.  I find it helpful to be able
>>to tell at a glance which spreadsheet files are for Quattro Pro and which
>>are for GNUMeric.
>>

> All spreadsheet types are using the generic 'spreadsheet' icon now (except
> Applix I think), since none of the MIME types had usefull specific icons.
>

>>You do raise a valid question, this is a usability issue.
>>

> Yes, and one I have been working on. I would love it if we could reach some
> sort of agreement. Even if it goes against what I've done so far.

I would like to see different MIME types have different icons as I said about Quattro Pro
and GNUMeric.

> For KDE 3.3 or later:
> The best idea I can come up with, is to use generic base icons (spreadsheet,
> database, etc.) and then superimpose an application onto it to create a
> specific one (a kword file would be the wordprocessing icon with a
> koffice-watermark). That way we can have both generic icons, and only need a
> composition icon for each office-suite or company.

I will have to leave that to the actual artists to make those.  It was brought up that we
didn't have MIME icons for KOffice, and I can make the ones I am working on (if I survive
the cold I got for Christmas :-)).  I think that we agree that these MIME types should
have icons and if we come up with something different later (for 3.3), it is OK.

--
JRT