List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: MIME icons for KOffice
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2003-12-28 1:18:49

On Saturday 27 December 2003 23:48, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> > I still think that the icons should reflect the content type of the
> > document, rather than merely containing the icon of the program that
> > happens to open them.
>
> Well, as I said, I think that this is correct for many MIME types.
>
> But, it the MIME type is for a specific application then it is best for it
> to relate to that application.
>
> It is logical for a WordPerfect file to have a MIME type icon with the
> WordPerfect application icon on it (to me that does reflect the content of
> the file).  But, with a PostScript file, there is no application associated
> with that MIME type and it needs to have a MIME type icon reflecting the
> content of the file.

The idea breaks down when integration comes along. It wouldnt make sense for
kword-documents to contain kword-art once it uses the same format as
openoffice.org. If we used this concept we would need to treat work-formats
(tied to an application) and publishable MIME-types (tied to a standard)
differently. And even then there's a grey-zone with application-specific
types that have become de-facto standards (like MS Word files).

> There is a better alternative when the data file format actually has an
> trademark image associated with it like SVG and Acrobat.  But, others that
> appear to be like this such as RPM and Real are just using the
> application's icon.

All the Real-formats have been changed to generic video and audio icons to be
able to distingues RealAudio and RealVideo.

> alternatively, we could have all of the various MIME types for a generic
> application type have the same MIME icon.
>
> For example: have all spreadsheets applications use the generic
> 'spreadsheet' icon for their files.  But then the MIME type icons are not
> distinguishing between different MIME types.  I find it helpful to be able
> to tell at a glance which spreadsheet files are for Quattro Pro and which
> are for GNUMeric.

All spreadsheet types are using the generic 'spreadsheet' icon now (except
Applix I think), since none of the MIME types had usefull specific icons.

> You do raise a valid question, this is a usability issue.

Yes, and one I have been working on. I would love it if we could reach some
sort of agreement. Even if it goes against what I've done so far.

For KDE 3.3 or later:
The best idea I can come up with, is to use generic base icons (spreadsheet,
database, etc.) and then superimpose an application onto it to create a
specific one (a kword file would be the wordprocessing icon with a
koffice-watermark). That way we can have both generic icons, and only need a
composition icon for each office-suite or company.

`Allan